Member of the Brussels Bar since 2004, Pierre Goffinet graduated from the Catholic University of Louvain. He also holds a B.S. and M.A. in economics from the Catholic University of Louvain.
He is a former Competition Prosecutor of the Belgian Competition Council. As a prosecutor, he led several investigations (antitrust and merger control) in a number of economic sectors. He was also in charge of referral requests of mergers to the European Commission for the Belgian Competition Authority.
Pierre Goffinet is also a former researcher in applied macroeconomics at the Catholic University of Louvain.
Pierre's experience has led him in a broad range of sectors, including the energy, telecom, retail, FMCG, gambling, insurance, health, rail and maritime transport sectors.
He is also specialised in action for damages in the context of competition law infringements or unfair commercial practices. Based on his economic knowledge, Pierre is able to test the different theories of harm under competition law (e.g., to calculate the effective prices in case of pricing abuses) and to assess the different models designed to estimate damages.
He is part of our European law, competition, distribution and market practice team.
He has published many articles on Belgian and European Competition law.
European law, competition, distribution and market practice, State Aid, Telecom Law (Electronic Communication Law), Unfair Commercial Practices, Rail Transport Law, Energy Law (REMIT)
- "The "tangible" examination of inspections and seizures: a requirement after the ECtHR Vinci judgment?", Journal of European Competition Law & Practice, 2016, février 2016 (avec Thierry Bontinck)
- "The judgment of the General Court in the Intel case and the opinion of the Advocate General in the Post Danmark case: a reconsideration of the policy of the European Commission?”, Österreichische Zeitschrift für Kartellrecht (Austrian Competition Journal), September 2015
- "Le jugement du 24 novembre 2014 du Tribunal de commerce néerlandophone de Bruxelles : le private enforcement au point mort ?", Tijdschrift voor Belgische Mededinging – Revue de la Concurrence Belge, 2015, n° 2 (with Thierry Bontinck)
- "Vertical relationships, in what extent the qualification of agent limits the application of article 101 TFEU?", Journal of European Competition Law & Practice, 2014, décembre 2014 (with Frédéric Puel)
- "L’arrêt du Tribunal de l’Union européenne dans l’affaire Intel : une remise en cause de la politique de la Commission européenne ?", Revue du droit des industries de réseau - Tijdschrift voor het recht van netwerkindustrieën, 2014, n° 4
- "New challenges in merger control in Europe - A reform of the referral system?", Österreichische Zeitschrift für Kartellrecht (Austrian Competition Journal), February 2014, pp. 12-19
- "Le nouveau régime belge de contrôle des concentrations", Tijdschrift voor Belgische Mededinging – Revue de la Concurrence Belge, N° 2, 2013, pp. 145-166.